Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Canning Apples

I have had one true love my entire life, ever since I was a little kid I could always count on Apple Crisp. This delicious dessert is a family favorite and every Sunday that my wonderful cook, of a dad made Apple Crisp it was the best Sunday ever! One of the main ingredients for this delightful treat is obviously apples, and the apples that we use (that make it taste so good) are  home canned apples. This leads to having a Saturday of canning most years around September.


This weekend was one that my sisters, and I have been waiting for, for months. It is apple canning time! Saturday morning I woke up and drove to Morgan I took the more scenic route so I could appreciate the beautiful fall colors, the rolling hills, and mountains.

When I arrived in Morgan my family already had everything set up to start canning they were just waiting on my sister Jenna, and my mother to get back from the grocery store, with lunch. After they had gotten back and we had eaten lunch we started working right away.


My little brother Jacob was on his homecoming-day-date so he couldn't make it. I can't believe he is old enough to be a senior it blows my mind! It seems like just yesterday that he was twelve and lighting things on fire in the middle of the street. 


 Since Jacob was gone and my twin brother Matthew is on his mission, the only people in attendance for canning were my oldest sister Shantel, her husband David, my second oldest sister Jenna, her husband Kevin, and my Father. I love spending time with my family, it is one of my favorite things to do. We have been very blessed to be so close growing up and I love how we have maintained that relationship.


While we were canning we established a system and quickly accomplished the task with a few set backs while we waited for some of the glass jars we needed to be to be cleaned all the way by the dishwasher.





After that was all over with, we finished with a little over 50 bottles of apples which means so much apple crisp! This brings so much joy into my heart, one thing that does not bring joy into my heart is my Subaru Outback. A few days ago my breaks started making weird grinding noises, so I tried to drive it as little as possible until I could come home and have my wonderful Dad (who is a great mechanic) take a look at it. We ended up having to replace the driver side rear rotor and both rear break pads.

The driver side rear break pad was down to the metal so that is why we had to replace the rotor as well. This is a picture of the passenger side rear break pad compared to the new one we got.


My dad really is such a blessing in my life, not only because he helps fix my car, but that definitely is a plus!

In other news, my sister is expecting!!! I am so excited for my new niece to get here! Jenna is due in January which is also when my brother Matthew gets home from his mission, so January is the best month ever. 



Jenna's husband Kevin recently had a birthday, last Saturday. Since they live in Idaho we were unable to spend that special day with them. They luckily were in town this weekend so we celebrated it then! On of the best parts about other people's birthday's are that everyone else gets to have cake and icecream! HAPPY (late) BIRTHDAY KEVIN. 


Jenna and Kevin left early Sunday morning. It really was so good to see them. The rest of the day was filled with church, a linger longer, and quality time spent with my family. With this weekend gone and over with I can definitely say that I am looking forward to canning apples next september!





2 comments:

  1. It was so great to see you! Also, I am stealing all of these photos because I didn't take any! I LOVE YOU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apples = Delicious. The other day Lydia and I ate an entire bottle by ourselves for dinner. Because I'm an awesome mom. And apples are healthy right? I love the picture of us and dad and Lydia.

    Both you and Jenna have blogged about this. I need to get my rear in gear. I'm going to steal your pictures, just like Jenna did. Haha. It will be awesome. Love you!

    ReplyDelete