Saturday, September 6, 2014

Wasatch National Forest


For quite a while Blake and a couple of his co-workers have talked about going camping. You know those times when you and someone else always say you are going to do something but no one really follows through. Well, this was NOT one of those times.

 We had talked about going to the Uinta's, in the Ruth Lake area. Since Blake and I went camping there last year and it was beyond beautiful, we were all for it! Unfortunately, the temperatures at night this time of the year drop below zero, and the day temps are in the low 50's. Not an option for comfortable camping, in all of our opinions so we decided to camp a lot closer to home. 

We ended up going camping up American Fork Canyon in the Wasatch National Forest.  Luckily we got there before the sun set and snagged an amazing spot! Amazing wouldn't even begin to describe the view from where we set up out tents.


The camping crew was John Thuet, his wife Carly, Stephanie, Blake, and I.  Oh and how could I forget, the Thuet's dog Nyx. She is the most playful and adorable Old English Bull Dog. We have gone climbing a couple times with the Thuet family and I was so excited to spend more time with them. I had never actually spent time with Stephanie before, but since the end of the trip I now know her as the sweetest girl around. Stephanie hadn't camped much so it was fun to have her there.


It got pretty chilly as we were setting up camp and getting dinner ready. Thuet, and Carly lit a blazing fire that warmed us up immediatley.  While around the fire we played a game of Catch Phrase.  I usually am terrible at that game, and true to my past record, we lost miserably to the Thuet's. They have been married for four years, and practically can read each others minds, so they obviously dominated. With Blake and my 6 month anniversary next week, we have a lot of catching up to do if we want to be on their Catch Phrase level.

Another thing that I want to remember from that night was that Blake kept saying "dat" and "doe".  In the context that hip teenagers these days are saying it. I don't even know if I am spelling it correct since I am not a teenager and I am not hip. Some examples: "Dat fire doe" "Dat tent doe". It was so, indescribably annoying, but I couldn't help but laugh. Luckily this has stopped since we have been home so I am keeping my fingers crossed he doesn't make a habit of it. 

After dinner John even introduced us to the most delicious treat (I can't remember what it is called, I am the worst). First you take the mallow, you cover it in crescent roll dough, cook it in the fire till golden brown, and then roll it in butter, cinnamon, and sugar. Even though I wasn't the most talented at cooking it, it was delicious! 


I was a little nervous about being cold while sleeping, but it seriously was the perfect temperature at night. I slept so well and woke up in the morning well rested and refreshed. The view in the morning was awe-inspiring. It is amazing how beautiful nature is. I absolutely love the fall, not for the temperature change, but because the leaves are breathtaking when they turn various shades of yellow, red, and orange. Fall is almost officially here. :) 



After we packed up camp, we drove back to American Fork Canyon. I introduced everyone to a new wall in the area called Serenity.  We just decided to do a couple of the easiest routes on the wall. Carly is pregnant so she sat this one out (Shout out to her for being patient and a good sport). It was Stephanie's second time climbing I do believe, and on her second attempt on one of the climbs she made it all the way to the top! I was very impressed with her dedication.  The walls at Serenity are abnormally tall and really help you to build up your endurance.


I haven't been climbing hardly at all lately which really bums me out, but the climbs today felt really good to me, and weren't that much of a challenge. Which really got me psyched. I am counting down the days till the Lehi climbing gym opens and I can build up me strength again! 

We left the canyon before late afternoon, and while driving home I felt euphoric and exhausted. It is so fun to get out and do stuff, but it definitely can wear you out. :)

Also, if you haven't read my last blog post, I am attempting to visit every State Park, National Monument, National Park, and National Forest, in Utah and I have a life time to complete it. Thanks to this lovely camping trip I was able to check Wasatch National Forest off our to-do list. Imagine me doing a heel click out of pure happiness.




No comments:

Post a Comment