Sunday, September 22, 2013

Happy Birthday Shantel!

When I graduated high school in 2011 I was pretty confidant that I was going to Utah State University for college. When I got my acceptance letter I was jumping for joy, and made a huge deal of it. One reason I was so excited was because my sister Shantel and brother-in-law David are pretty die hard fans of USU. To prove their devotion to good ol' Utah State they had an A as a cake topper at their wedding and Aggie blue as one of their wedding colors. If I was talking I would say they tried really hard to brainwash me to go there, but they would probably say that they just encouraged me to make the "right" decision :). Even though at the time they lived in Lehi and not Logan where USU is.




  

A bunch of events happened that summer and for some reason I changed my mind and made the final verdict to come down to Utah Valley University instead. UVU, is located in Orem, Utah, which was one of the best choices of my life for many reasons.

One reason being because Shan and David lived in Lehi (at their old apartment) and that was only 20 minutes away from where I was living. I have been so blessed to have immediate family living close to me. When you move somewhere new it is always so nice to have someone there for you. That way you aren't all alone, and that is what Shantel was for me when I first moved down to Orem. Shan and David always put forth so much effort to make sure I knew I was welcome at their home anytime.

This is Shan and I at her old apartment in Lehi, Utah.


I am so grateful for Shantel and David, at that time in my life and espeically now. They are constantly having me up for dinner, and always being there for me when I am homeless, need to vent or, just in the mood to tell them my ridiculously long, and detailed stories. They always give me the reaction that I want and that is why you tell people stories right?! 


This is one of my favorite pictures of me and Shantel. My mother, Lori, upon finding out Shantel was pregnant, well over a year ago now, thought it would be the best idea in the world to buy a giant castle for her future granddaughter. Who was a year and 9 months away from being able to actually play in it (since she wasn't even born yet). Shantel and I were so excited over easter break of 2012 for the cool pink castle that we set it up anyways!


When I found out Shantel was pregnant with Lydia, my niece, I could hardly wait, and the amount of love I felt for that little unborn girl was indescribable! With me feeling that way, I can't even imagine how Shantel felt. I didn't have any nieces or nephews at the time so that 9 months dragged on for eternity. This is Shantel when she was pregnant. I am pretty sure she is about 6 months along!


Finally Lydia arrived. I have loved being able to be so close to the Peaden family and the chance I have had to spend time with Shan, David, and Lydia. Family really is so important in the grand scehem of things and I count my blessing every day that I have been able to build this relationship with them.

Lydia really is the cutest little girl.


Shantel has always been the best oldest (see how I put oldest and not just older, you are an amazing sister too Jenna) sister to me no matter what I say about my childhood experience. I have been so blessed to have been close with  with my two sisters Shan and Jenna growing up. We always were good friends despite the normal sister fights, when it comes to sharing clothes. I hontestly am overwhelmingling grateful for my all my siblings and the love we have for each other.


 

 This past weekend was Shantel's birthday! On Sunday, September 15th. Unfortunately her husband David was out of town for work, but that Friday before Shan's birthday Blake, my boyfriend, and I went up to the Peaden's house for a little surprise birthday celebration, prices right status. Shantel is amazing at knowing the prices of objects. You could say, it is because she is an amazing coupon/bargain shopper (which she is), or she might have just inherited it from my Grandma Walker who won an episode of the prices right way back when. Either way she demolished Blake and I in the prices right games we played and she won all her birthday presents! This was a very good thing becuase I bet she would have had something to say if Blake or I had won any of her presents. :)


On her actual birthday that Sunday, we went up to Morgan, Utah where my parents live and spent the evening eating dinner, opening presents, eating cake, and catching up with everyone. Shantel and I were even matching with our stripped maxi skirts! 


Family relationships really are so important and I always hope my family knows how much I love them, and that I have a testimony of eternal families. Happy Birthday Shantel and thanks for being an awesome sister! :) 

2 comments:

  1. Oh my, Melissa. This is so sweet! I was so surprised to see my name in the title of your post and I couldn't ask for a more beautiful tribute. Although I still mourn the fact that none of my siblings have attended Utah State - I'm SO grateful that you live so close. I love spending time with you and loved all of the pictures you found of us! Thanks for the beautiful post Melis, I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is such a great post! Shantel really is a great oldest sister, and you are a great younger sister. I love you both so much! I wish I could have been there celebrating with everyone! Also, I want a striped maxi skirt to match you guys! You are both too cute!

    ReplyDelete