Monday, May 12, 2014

Red Rock

I absolultey love the outdoors, and lucky for me summer is finally here! I felt like I was stuck in an eternal winter until it hit me one day. I was walking across a small stretch of grass into my work. The grass is usually convered in snow, or brown and muddy, then overnight, as I was walking into work the grass was vibrant green and the flowers on the side of the building were blooming. I couldn't help but get over whelmed with happiness! Warm weather, here we come. :) 

Blake recently started a new job at a company called Disruptive Advertising. It has been a really good change for him and a great opportunity for our family. :) one of his coworkers, John Thuet has some climbing gear so Blake and him made a plan to go climbing with Carli, John's wife, and I. 

I was really nervous since it was the first time we would be climbing outside since last summer, but I was really excited at the same time! :)

We ended up going to an area that John had been to before, it is located in Draper. Blake and I drove up there after work to met up with the Thuet family and there cute little pit bull Nykes, at the wall. 

 Apparently really wealthy men I am assuming dentists, discovered and developed the area. It was the nicest crag I have ever climbed at. The hike up to the wall had a lot of switch backs so it was a nice, not very energy exerting walk up the hill. When we finally got to the top there are several benches along the wall! I thought this was awesome! Usually you just end up sitting on a rock, on your climbing pack, or in the dirt. I forgot to take a picture but I pulled on off the internet. Sadly this picture is during the late fall, so it doesn't reflect the full green trees that were there on the day we went. 




The wall has mostly beginner level climbs, which I was thrilled about since I am so out of climbing shape. At the base of all the climbs there was a small plaque with the name and rating of the climb. The reason I say it was probably developed by a dentist was because the climbs are all named after dentist related things. The easiest climb on the wall was called baby teeth, and another was called gingervitis. 

It was really good to finally get on real rock! I love the feeling of being out of breath and terrified while leading. The view from the cliff was amazing and definitely worth being afraid, it looked out over draper and since it is still spring it was so green. :) It felt so good to be outside in the beautiful weather!





Later that night we went to Blake's work for a little get together, pizza, ping pong, and Mario Kart racing. I was nervous because usually I am terrible at Mario Kart, but I got picked to be on the Thuet's team (the couple we went climbing with) and John just happened to be pro, we dominated every round. :) I also beat Blake in a few games of basketball, the little game where it times you, and you have to make as many shots as you can! I rubbed it in Blake's face so bad. After beating him so much in everything I could't bring myself to play ping pong with him, since he is a ping pong master, and would beat me for sure! 

It was a really good day all around. It was fun to meet all of Blake's new co-workers and their spouses, and it was so nice to go climbing outside. My goal by the end of the summer is to be able to lead 11's without being terrified outside, I am just crossing my fingers that I actually accomplish that goal :) Here is to many more outdoor adventures this summer. :)


2 comments:

  1. Ha ha. I love that you beat Blake in everything! Also, I want to go rock climbing. Can we go sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. So much fun! And I laughed out loud about the dentist named climbs.

    ReplyDelete